Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The Vocal, the Literary

Finding one’s voice is a worthwhile pursuit and one that our lady, The Uncommon Reader, takes to develop. Interestingly, to me her voice is entirely strong and distinct throughout.

Yet, as I am not British Royalty, perhaps I just don’t understand. Having played at writing with the Queen’s voice (not included here), it is clear how differently she and I address ourselves and our world.

But we have a great commonality, the uncommon one and I. We read. We enter other worlds, learn other ways of being, and generally enjoy what’s out there – even to the point of sympathizing with other people.

Alan Bennett’s work in developing a character in her late 70s into a person of new interests and vitality was a great yet brief pleasure. The novella filled but one sunny afternoon. No matter, I’ll just pop back to the library and experience yet another voice!

No comments:

Post a Comment