Thursday, August 20, 2009

Sugar Doodles


My nieces came over on a recent afternoon, so I thought I’d bake them a treat. My sister and I would be taking a walk, while they would ride their bikes, meaning that all will be hungry and really, really need a snack afterwards. The three little girls have varying tastes, and I decided to cater to the blandest, as everyone can accept plain, but not all can accept complex flavors.

Therefore, I set out to make a plain butter or sugar cookie. These are so simple, yet can be so improved with a little of this and a little of that. I found a snickerdoodle recipe and decided that although it was entirely inoffensive, it was also truly too dull. So I began to look online for cream cheese sugar cookies.

Those recipes were far more interesting, even if the only added ingredient besides sugar, butter, and flour was cream cheese! But they all wanted me to roll out the dough. I love my nieces, but I was not going to roll out dough.

True to form, I began to combine recipes, combine flavors, and keep it all white so that maybe the kids would eat it!

1 C butter
4oz cream cheese
1 ¾ C sugar
2 eggs
1t vanilla
½ lemon juiced – maybe a tablespoon
3 C flour
3t baking powder
Dash of salt

After mixing all that, I let the dough rest in the fridge to set up. I really didn’t want too runny of cookies! But neither did I want them overly stiff once baked. So, I put them still gooey on plastic wrap and rolled the dough into a log as one would for freezer cookies. The dough was pretty soft, actually, so I wasn’t expecting a perfect circle. I planned to slice the cookies off the roll and put oval slabs of them on a baking tray (400*F for 10min). I even was ready to toss a few sprinkles on them, as pink crystals of sugar don’t put the girls off, or necessitate extra exertion. :-)

When all was said and done, they turned out just wonderfully. The heaps of baking powder and a second egg kept the cookie cake-y, as you’d expect from a snickerdoodle, but the sugar cookie flavors came through so well that the couple leftovers I happily enjoyed baked off the following day. Therefore, it fit my goal of a delicious flavor with neither cinnamon nor rolling pin!

No comments:

Post a Comment