Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Summer Salads


Once again I was presented with an array of summer vegetables in my CSA box. When I opened it and looked around, I found a cabbage. I have only bought a cabbage one time before in my life, and only know two things to do with it. You can either bake it with corned beef on St Patrick’s Day, or you can make cole slaw. I made cole slaw.

That one time I bought a cabbage was a few years ago, to make cole slaw for the 4th of July, and although I probably found a great recipe which was fantastic, I decided to go looking again. I looked online, I looked in cookbooks, I thought about looking through my old cooking notes. And this is what I did:

One Green Cabbage
One Yellow Carrot
One Bunch Green Onions

Dressing:
Cider Vinegar
Bitter Honey
Olive Oil

Chop up the vegetables, make a dressing with the rest, pour it over the vegetables, and let it rest, refrigerated.

I found the bitter honey at the Chateau Ste Michelle winery in Woodinville. I had never seen bitter honey before and was curious about it. In fact, as I’ve attended a honey convention in France, and go out of my way to honey taste at markets from St Petersburg to Ballard, I really thought I’d seen most of the honey out there. Interestingly it was on sale, having stayed past its ‘best if used by’ date. One thing that I’ve heard reiterated about honey is that it doesn’t go bad, so I figured even bitter honey should be ok. And it is. I have paired it with goat’s cheese, added it to numerous vinaigrettes, and generally a dab here and a dab there for fun.

The yellow carrot is part of a bunch of rainbow carrots, with red, orange and yellow carrots all set together like a bouquet of Gerber daisies. I tasted each one separately. I probably should have done it blind folded, as the orange carrot was by far the best. I will save those for eating on their own.

Worth mentioning, I did make three salads, but received a particular complement on the slaw, even though I think that my broccoli salad was the greatest success, considering how little I like broccoli, yet finished this one off first! The third salad was beets and dill... yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment