Thursday, May 28, 2009

Coconut Flour

The other day at PCC I bought Coconut Flour. On the package it mentioned fiber so I immediately saw it as a worthwhile experiment. I also picked up tapioca balls, flour, bananas, and kale. The tapioca was my first exciting new choice. I happen to love tapioca pudding, massive tapioca in bubble tea, but that’s not surprising considering my attachment to puddings without tapioca and tea hot with milk.

Unfortunately I didn’t read the back of the box on all the things meant to be in traditional tapioca pudding. Or maybe it’s good because when I saw coconut milk I decided to use milk and coconut flour, two items I now had in abundance. As you can imagine, the high fiber meant non soluble and I had a grainy, albeit fragrant, pudding with slick, chewy tapioca.

Next time I’m making a very basic and delicious vanilla custard! So there’s no fiber, oh well! There’ll be fat and that should count for something.

Having made that decision I moved to recommended coconut flour recipes. Great – pancakes! That makes sense enough. If one takes into account that very dense, high fiber batters make very dense, high fiber waffles and pancakes. I poured in the allotted amount of buttermilk. Then I poured in more. Then I wondered whether to finish off the container!

Overall I had a very filling, wonderfully scented breakfast, made extra special by buttering with some leftover butter cream frosting. Yes, breakfast may really be the best meal of the day.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm coconut pancakes sounds delicious!!! -heather

    ReplyDelete