Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Savory Recipes


When I decide to make something that I haven’t made before, or at least not recently, I pull out three different cookbooks and start comparing recipes. That sounds normal, right? But then, what if I look in the fridge and see a lot of spinach? Well, I take down my favorite cookbook and search for spinach in the index. Boy, do I love indexes.

Say I see spinach dip and decide that’s what I want; next I branch out finding multiple recipes for spinach dip. Here’s the catch. I never choose one. Usually I’m combining two recipes and adding the bell pepper I found behind the spinach which wasn’t even put with spinach on the spinach side dish recipes.

So, I use approximately 30% of a recipe at any given time and am always amazed at how well those crazy vegetables go together, which, according to my books, have never been combined before! When I am wildly successful I admit to wishing I’d measured more closely, remembered each spice and written it immediately. But I suppose my current system leaves me space to stumble once again into marvelous spinach dip my own way. Plus, we know I’d only use 30% of what I wrote, anyhow!

No comments:

Post a Comment