Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Grocery Shopping

I go to a grocery store at least every week. I go to the same ones regularly, but today I decided to try out PCC. I had never been before, but wanted to know what it would be like. Well, it was just like PC Greens. Strangely similar with the plethora of organic prefabricated foodstuffs. From the childish bunnies to the serious sheaves of grain, all images reverberating unbleached whole grains and unrefined pure cane juice. This allows the highly acculturated, who only have time to buy processed foods, the option to get them without preservatives.

Although gardening was part of my earliest years, I didn’t take a shine to being healthy for the sake of image until my junior year in college. Immediately it was out with Nabisco’s standard Newtons and in with Nabisco’s side line, and far superior, Newmans. I hit up PC Greens as often as the beach.

I learned to juice fruits and vegetables, make yogurt smoothies, and modify all recipes to take some percentage of oat flour. I ate meats from animals that only ate grains at their leisure. I drank milk from happy cows. And I was broke.

Really, spend $5 on a peach? Is that indicative of good health practices? Yes, the organic peach tastes just as good as one off the tree, which I always ate on family trips to California, stopping at relatives’ back yards as soon as their houses to see what’s growing. And true, I never have found any reason to buy peaches in regular stores as they are nearly always mealy and dry, barely squeaking out flavor between the pit and fuzz. I can still remember the way I was transported to the delicious true tree fruit taste when I bought organic, so I still do. But let’s be honest. I can only afford apples.

No comments:

Post a Comment