Sunday, January 31, 2010

Address to a Haggis

Recently it was Robert Burns Night, an evening to celebrate by the Scottish and Scotophil alike. Hence I made my way to my sister’s for some haggis and an opportunity to admire my brother-in-law’s kilt. With melancholy heath-inspired bag piping helping us to remember the wintry, rainy Scotland we ate and toasted and addressed the haggis.

I have liked haggis since I first tried it in Scotland somewhere between nine and seven years ago. I recall the experience, the setting, the flavor, and the company. I guess that’s about as much as you can ask of any meal, making it one that is well worth repeating in wintry, rainy Seattle followed by some poetry reading and accent slaughtering.

How a nation comes by their special celebration days is always a bit awkward, but nobody beats the Scottish! Guy Fox Night (more like month), Burns Night, Edinburgh’s Fringe Festival, are just a few I’ve experienced and found pretty ‘warm-reeking, rich!’

Regretfully we didn’t get haggis as such (US food regulations make it unavailable for purchase), but enjoyed a delicious and remarkable lamb roast accompanied by the neeps and tatties which fill out many a Scottish meal. Haggis is made of lamb bits and pieces ground up with oats and spices and stuffed into a casing and baked. It is into this near-bursting sausage that the happy host stabs a knife at a precious moment for the dinner party’s enjoyment. Neeps and tatties are parsnips and mashed potatoes, although the addition of carrots and other roots appears quite regularly.

I must say, an evening motivated by writing and a meal appeals very strongly to me. If you can get such a gathering going, I recommend Glenlivet and Bruichladdich for the after-dinner addresses whether or not you’re toasting Burns.

No comments:

Post a Comment