Thursday, November 5, 2009

Sweet and Delicate

I feel remiss in not having discussed pumpkins and squash last month, so I’m starting out on that note right now! Why? Because the squash is on. And even though we’re all super acculturated to view pumpkin as the basis for pie, the actual super sweet squash of choice is Delacato. Oh, so delicate, oh, so sweet. I could pretend I’m a poet for this one.

But I’m not a poet, so I’ll just let you know that my pies are already wonderfully delicious. I cook the squash – at least any eating squash – make a pretty standard custard, and add only spices I really like, and just enough to lightly enhance, rather than to overwhelm the delicate sweet squash. In my opinion that means a hint of ginger and nutmeg.

Crust is just as important. For a tart blueberry, cherry, or even apple pie I love the dense butter crust my mom makes. A custard tart sometimes needs a lighter touch, and even though I stick with butter, something flakier and crisper makes the custard more palatable. By contrasting textures, always important, one gives the heavy squash a shot at levity for dessert.

Or, on days when I just can't be bothered? Let's make pumpkin butter! Puree cooked squash and blend it with a pastry cream for something extremely rich and delightful. Mm, I can’t wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment