Thursday, November 12, 2009

Pounds of Ginger Cake


Recently I made a friendly gesture and called France for a friend of my roommate. That friendly gesture was returned with a gift certificate, which enabled me to buy the cookbook Gingerbread: Timeless Recipes for Cakes, Cookies, Desserts, Ice Cream, and Candy. This is exciting karma!

A couple weeks ago I had a great success with a variation on a Cook’s Illustrated pound cake, from an old-time country recipe where you don’t preheat the oven. Browsing through my new cookbook, and seeing a pound cake, I thought that sounded like a great idea. It took only a few minutes to put together and came from the oven looking beautiful. Considering that I baked it in a bundt pan, if it didn’t need to be turned I’d have left it as it was, so pretty. Therefore, I’m confident that the loaf cake would have been equally stunning.

The only real regret I have is that I am out of most things in my kitchen, including powdered sugar, and couldn’t sneak a glaze together to top this off. Having also run out of brown sugar meant that the cake already had ¾ cup less sugar than called for, which I didn’t substitute with anything like stevia or more granulated. So, for a really delicious and spicy cake, it’s not very sweet, and I could say it lacks quite a few calories. But, as I hadn’t run out of butter and only had egg yolks instead of whole eggs, I guess I’m not fooled.

No comments:

Post a Comment