Sunday, September 13, 2009

Polysyllablism

You want to know why Nick Hornby resonates so well? It’s because he’s brilliant, that’s why. I skipped multiple reading group sessions this summer because I couldn’t take one more book about artists and authors. What does Hornby criticize authors for (to the chagrin of the Spree, mind you)? All these mad books about bookish people! Hello, if we read them we’re those people and don’t want to hear about it! (Wait. I’m agreeing with an author, while reading his book about books he’s reading, that books about writing come across to me as somewhat ridiculous and less interesting as other subjects? Hmmm. Ok, unless, of course, it’s you, Nick, giving voice to the tiresomeness of it, then.)

And, as I was sitting on the front porch, chuckling at something else he wrote, my neighbor walked by and commented,
“Good book?”
“Oh, great! Nick Hornby.”
“I’ll have to put it on my reading list.”
“It’s his Complete Polysyllabic Spree where he discusses everything he’s reading.”
Pause.
Me again, “Have you read him before?”
“No.”
“Oh, he’s fabulous! Nick Hornby – British!”

Sorry, Nick, I may not have pulled that one out for you.

The truth is, Hornby not only writes his (somewhat) monthly articles about what he’s reading, which would be entertaining enough, but he actually creates tension with the editorial board, nearly giving his segment a plot! So, not only have I developed an abundant list of new books to read, I enjoyed the list-making in a genuinely pleasant way! Shall I share what I took away from The Diary of an Occasionally Exasperated But Ever Hopeful Reader? No, I’ll allow you to get the satisfaction for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment