Thursday, July 2, 2009

West Coast Cheesecake


For quite some time Seattle has been enjoying good weather. Every time the forecast projects rain, it surprisingly turns to sun. It is surprising, as Seattleites are far more conditioned to hear that sun’s coming only for it to be rain – or, in recent winters, snow.

What does this have to do with cheesecake? And isn’t that a New York specialty? Interestingly, cheesecake reaches far beyond NY, and the weather is highly impactful if you’ve been requested to make cheesecake for your friend’s outdoor wedding in June in Seattle where it’s been uncommonly warm and sunny.

Needless to go on, that was exactly how my shoes felt a week ago.

But I’m going to share a BIG secret. My cheesecake recipe isn’t mine. It’s my paternal Grandma’s. Although I don’t even dream of diverging from the recipe, my mom has effectively perfected it. And it is phenomenal. I refuse to eat any other cheesecake. I don’t refuse to eat any other cookie, pie, tart, pudding, crisp, crumble, cobbler, ice cream, etc. than those made by my forebears, but this is it. Not too long ago I meandered by Junior’s, the cheesecake haven in Brooklyn, and didn’t even feel like going in – it can’t be as good. (Plus, I’d just eaten pizza at Grimaldi’s and nobody needs cheesecake after pizza, even if I was biking.)

So, will I give up the important part of the secret? Well, I’ll tell you one trick: it presents best slightly cool. But, when rather more slopped than sliced, you can still receive complements such as, “I thought I’d had good desserts before, but every time I taste something you make, I realize I’ve never actually eaten anything very good. It’s delicious.” Makes you feel as glowing as a bride!

1 comment:

  1. They look like they came out quite nicely- congratulations!
    I was going to ask if you had pictures next time I saw you, but now I don't need to. :-)

    ReplyDelete