Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Community Supported Agriculture

Boxes of vegetables are coming my way. I have joined a CSA this year! I’m super excited about what I might discover. So far in my farm sharing I traveled to the peninsula to visit the farm, have a look around, and pick some super phenomenal strawberries.

Now there are a few distinct examples in my life which will elucidate why a farm share works for me. Let me discuss the strawberries for just a moment. I am not a fan of ‘strawberries.’ Picking an organic strawberry that is ripe on its itsy bitsy ground cover bush does not have much to do with ‘strawberries’ as they find their way to so many grocery stores. So, at Nash’s Organic Farm, the strawberries were like the ones that you might dream about if you felt like eating sun warmed juicy candy that melts in your mouth needing only the pressure of your tongue to mash it against the roof of your mouth. This corresponds to the memory I have from my childhood, eating the little strawberries my mom grew in planters on the front steps. Reproducing miracles in one’s mouth is no small thing. This works for me.

This week in my box I got salads and other stuff. I should discuss the other stuff, as that’s going to take creativity to use, but I started out by washing my salads. And then I tasted them. And since then I’ve been eating salad for all my meals and snacks (except breakfast). And that is not because there’s so much and I get another box next week! It has everything to do with the crispy, crunchy, slightly sweet, somewhat ticklish edged leaves they possess.

But I do get another box next week, so I really could use a little help. Are you hungry?

No comments:

Post a Comment