Monday, May 23, 2011

Little Bee

Seattle Reads month again! Of course Seattle Reads coordinators have chosen another African immigration story. I really have decided that I don’t mind the single theme. I believe at least once a year I should read, with everyone else, a hard story of life on and off the African continent. But I wonder why it isn’t part of the title more, like, say, Seattle Reads About African Immigration month. That’s a longer title, but absolutely descriptive.


What I really like about this novel is that the immigration is to Europe. I think that is an important reality to consider as NATO bombs Libya at the behest of France and Britain. My blog isn’t about politics, so I won’t describe the lives of asylum seekers I’ve met in Europe. If you read this book you wouldn’t need me to. I’m curious about the importance in Seattle of African politics, as there really are a lot of African immigrants, yet not so many obvious asylum seekers. Perhaps I’m naïve or Seattle hides this issue considerably better than other cities.


Chris Cleave writes Little Bee with a two character first person narrative that I think is excellent. There’s nothing like reading two worlds collide from both perspectives. Of course both characters, Sarah and Ohno, are in a state of confusion and decisiveness, like many women. Maybe that is what makes them so completely compelling. Maybe their stories do. Maybe the storyteller does. Whoever holds the magic, obviously Cleave, the stories of terribly many Africans, and how it awakens compassion in the least likely, it is certain that this story carries power.


This story is about a young girl who suffers such trauma that her ability to even function is staggering. She is Nigerian, from a jungle village. She is about 14 years old. She has an older sister. Well, or so she was and had when she met Sarah. This story is about a professional woman whose life is so idyllic that she cannot imagine true difficulty. She is English, from Surrey. She is about 30. She has a husband. Well, or so she was and had when she met Ohno.


Little Bee is a haunting story and I believe that Cleave treated it beautifully. The fact that both characters are complex, have grave faults and absolute moments of heroism are truly important. Beyond that, the slight repetitions were what I found most calming and jarring, the way they returned to places and ideas – oh, the juxtapositions! – and I never could guess which one would act, or how. This is not a book to look forward to; it is a story not to dismiss.


No comments:

Post a Comment