Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Depression is Contagious

The Seattle Public Library, as ever, has the most incredible looking books on display. Depression Is Contagious is probably one that makes great sense in rainy, often dreary, Seattle. The cover was excellent, the quoted reviews glowing, and the stated premise one I often really wonder about.

I guess I’m about to enter touchy areas. I don’t take medication. I don’t think I’m depressed. Why would I read a book about how to combat depression while avoiding medication? There’s more to it than a good cover design, surely?

Yes, in the last few years I’ve met more and more people who talk openly or semi-openly about their bouts of depression. Most of them have at least tried anti-depressants. Every one of them acknowledges the significant mind altering effects of such medications. I wonder if I should qualify this by explaining that not all of them used these drugs under a doctor’s care….

Despite my personal ‘non-situation’ (thou doth protesteth too much)I found that there were things in this book that gave me a whole new perspective on mental health. Really fascinating exercises, questions, and scenarios. I know, I thought it would be more academic, and it ended up rather ‘self-help’ but in a good way.

I found that there were some serious loopholes in my interpersonal interactions which from time to time have knocked me out. I hadn’t identified them on my own, but can see a way to strengthen myself which can only lead to less emotional trouble down the road. I guess that’s a worthwhile read!

No comments:

Post a Comment