Thursday, October 15, 2009

6 Ingredients Including the Spoon


The new Haagen-Dazs add campaign is one that I can appreciate. So, as I was making a soup recently, I realized that the formula was perfect. I could translate my ingredients to that slogan and save myself some effort!

Carrots, leeks, broth, pepper, and dairy – just add your spoon. Ok, it isn’t really fair to say that broth is an ingredient since it’s obviously tons of vegetables and seasonings in one flavorful addition. The dairy isn’t too accurate, either. I did use about ½ C of cream and then 1 ½ C milk. I guess that if they’d been incorporated to some version of Half and Half then I could claim that. But they didn’t, and I don’t.

Another complication, when you get to the table, it’s completely fair to season one’s soup with more salt and pepper, but I’ve never added salt to ice cream once it’s spun and in my bowl. And Haagen-Dazs doesn’t mention salt. How do they make an ice cream I like without a touch of salt? I'm not sure, for when I look at the absolute most phenomenal ice creams their ingredients are: milk, cream, egg yolks, sugar, salt, and a flavor, such as vanilla.

When I shift my attention to the most amazing soups, don’t they need a combination of vegetables sautéed in butter, water, herbs, seasoning, and maybe a wine reduction and cream brought in at the end? That’s just a vegetable soup, but I love soups with beans, and meat, and broth soups, too.

I have come away deciding that five ingredients aren’t that many. But they do make quite an impression on me, even if my style is a bit of a cheat. I haven’t put a spoon to the new Haagen-Dazs ice cream, but I’ve begun to revolutionize my meals by cutting myself off after pulling five things from the fridge and cupboards. With fall at my door, and broths and heaps of vegetables in a pot, I’ve been eating as well as ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment